Sunday, August 15, 2010

BAYFRONT BLUES FESTIVAL AND WILD WEATHER – DULUTH, MN

Crowd panorama According to the woman in the seat adjacent to mine as we dodged raindrops under the “acoustic tent” at the Blues Festival, Friday was the first time in the festival’s 22 year history that the music was stopped (temporarily) because of the weather (lightening).  Odel and I weren’t there on Friday, but we saw it all on Saturday!

The Main Stage at Bayfront Park Planning to attend just one day of the festival (tickets are $40/person per day), we chose Saturday based on the weather report.  On Friday, the heaviest rain fell while we were in a movie theatre, but we got a solid drenching as we walked home after dinner.  Saturday looked perfect, and we headed over to join the crowd around noon.

It has been a LONG time – at least a decade – since I visited a music festival, and I learned a lot yesterday about the difference in my stamina between then and now! 

Like everyone else, we took our folding camp chairs along, and set them up between the main stage (huge, with tons of electronics and lighting, all seating on grass in the open) and the acoustic tent (smaller. covered, considerably more intimate, chairs provided).  Music alternated between the two stages, with smaller acts on the acoustic stage while the large acts set up on the main stage – the audience migrated between the two venues.  Everything was well organized – easy to purchase tickets, very good food available, beverage vendors of all kinds (food and drinks purchased with tokens, which keep the lines moving quickly), plenty of porta-potties with hand washing stations (with soap and paper towels!) – and the music was non-stop.

Keeping Cool with a slurpee Cool Cat

After walking about a mile to reach the park entrance, we spent a few hours in bright, hot sunshine, enjoying the music, the views, and the people watching – plus a few brews and snacks.  Then it was time for a break and a trek back home to apply more sunscreen before we returned for the headline acts.  

Eden Brent Oops, miscalculation: we didn’t need more sunscreen, we needed long pants, long sleeves, and raincoats.  Just after Reverend Raven and the Chain Smoking Alter Boys (my favorite band name, second favorite act of the day) finished their set under the tent, a strong, cold, wind pushed a big, black, wet cloud over the hills and the main stage.  Odel headed back home to come back with the car and warm clothing; I took a seat in the acoustic tent and heard my favorite act of the night, a solo blues singer from Greenville, Mississippi, Eden Brent.  Wow – could she scorch a keyboard!

Shortly after the moon rose, Odel and I regrouped at our chairs in front of the main stage, awaiting the headline act, Dr. John and the Lower 911.  We put on our raincoats (wind protection), and I draped my sweatshirt over my bare legs but, three songs into the set (9:30), we were ready to find the car.  The crowd had thinned considerably by then, a combination of the windy, cold, damp weather and the average age of the audience, I guess.  :)

He came to dance For me, the smaller, more intimate space of the acoustic tent was the winner.  I prefer the smaller acts, slower tempo, “don’t you wrong me” vocals, keyboard, harp, sax over the kick-ass screaming guitars and mostly unintelligible lyrics of the main stage.  I love bluesy woman, mostly playing the acoustic tent venue.  Where the main stage was loud and fast, the acoustic tent was throbbingly soulful, much more intimate.  

As I write this (Sunday noon), I can hear the music booming across the harbor, competing with the sounds of flags snapping, awnings flapping, and strong winds in the riggings of the sailboats moored outside our door.  The sun occasionally breaks through the thick grey clouds, but sweatshirts appear to be the garment of choice.  I’m happy sitting inside, watching the freighters go by.

12 comments:

  1. wow... looks like loads of fun... just put it on the list of must do's...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have the very best blog, out there. Keep it going and thanks. Makes my day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like fun was had by all. Great pictures. Pidge

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a great time with some good music!!

    Take care!
    Mike & Gerri (happytrails)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You lasted waaaay longer than I would have... I am a self proclaimed wimp....I love music, don't get me wrong..but I love my camper more...and I can click my I tunes and get some great music...I give you kudos for lasting out there..you are better people than I...el Wimpo...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would have given anything for just the hint of a tiny breeze a couple of weeks ago when we were there for the tall ships arrival! We're just never happy are we! But sounds like you made the very best of it!

    I enjoy your blog! Where are you headed now? We are in Iron Mountain, MI going towards Copper Harbor if we can get a place we'll fit in....

    ReplyDelete
  7. IT WAS A GREAT TIME THIS YEAR AS ALWAYS. I'VE BEEN ATTENDING THE OUR BLUES FEST SINCE THE FIRST ONE IN 1989. POURING RAIN OUT THAT DAY. NEVER THOUGHT THEY WOULD HAVE ANOTHER ONE AFTER THAT COOL,MISERABLE DAY. I REMEMBER ANOTHER TIME WHEN THE SCHEDULE WAS HALTED DUE TO LIGHTNING AND THAT WAS IN THE MID 90'S, MAYBE 1995. ANYWAYS,SEE EVERYONE NEXT YEAR.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't know if it's just a Wisconsin tradition, perhaps some of your other Midwestern native readers can say, but Friday Night Fish Fries are a big thing around here. When we go out, it's usually Friday night and it's for fish. Door County has the Fish Boil, pretty much every place has it's Fish Fry, I like the beer battered ones best. Have you had any good ones? I would think along the Lake, there should be some good fish...
    We also have some good microbreweries and a few wineries. Have you had a chance to sample any of those things?
    It was a bit breezy on Sunday!! Glad the humidity broke, though!
    donna

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Meowmamma, when we decided to visit Duluth, we were up for either the Tall Ships or the Blues Festival. When I called for a reservation (May), the Lakehead Boat Basin only had one site left for the Blues Festival, and NONE for the Tall Ships - so that decided it for us. I would have LOVED to see the ships with sails billowing!

    Donna, we've had a couple fish frys on Friday nights at the Elks lodges... and fish and chips everywhere we've eaten out along Lake Superior. I really like fried Whitefish! We remembered the fish frys in Wisconsin from our prior visit - seemed like every place fried fish on Friday night.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We were there for the Tall Ships and the Blues Festival (5th year in a row , all 3 days). Sorry but there is no beating the Blues festival rain or shine. Bought our tickets already for next year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. has anyone stayed in the parking lot with their Rv. I know other years I have seen them in one of the parking lot's. Anyone have any information?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey, Anon. The parking in the lot is first-come, first-served. Some have E hookups. Google "Bayfront Blue Festival", go to the official website, then click on Camping Guide. They have info and contact phone number there. It would be a handy location and looked like the campers were enjoying themselves.

    ReplyDelete