Wednesday, July 14, 2010

SUMMERTIME, AND THE LIVIN’ IS EASY

On the shore of Lake Huron Three nights at Thunder Bay Resort (click here to read our review) went by in the blink of an eye, a happy mix of socializing and relaxation. 

The RV park here is small, just 23 sites.  Six of the sites are occupied by workampers, and we were already briefly acquainted with two of the workamping couples, Howard and Linda, and Rob and Ronni.  Odel enjoyed 2 rounds of (very reasonably priced) golf with Howard, Rob and Ted (another workamper); I volunteered to spend a shift helping Ronni weed and deadhead flower gardens on the golf course – her workamping job, my pleasure. 

I spent a relaxing afternoon with Linda learning to braid a t-shirt and visiting the bird blind the workampers have just completed.  I traded books with Joyce, the other “student” of t-shirt braiding, and I spent HOURS sitting in the shade of our awning, reading (currently, The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver).  Today, we took a leisurely drive to the nearest large town, Alpena, 20 miles away on Lake Huron, then up the coast to the Presque Isle Lighthouse park to enjoy a picnic and hike.

Social, relaxing, fun… just as you might picture the best of summer days.

Alpena's city marina Odel on sinking ship

The city marina in Alpena, MI

 Odel clowning at the Maritime Museum

5 comments:

  1. Now that sounds like a great weekend.

    Stay Safe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Braiding t-shirts? Is that like... Maybe it's... Nope, can't guess what that is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Braiding t-shirts... actually, it is braiding a trim on a t-shirt. You turn up the hem, make 2 inch vertical cuts an inch apart all the way around, then "braid" the sliced bits. You can see from this explanation that I am not a crafter! It was fun to learn, though, and I liked the "braid" trim that resulted on the extra large t-shirt I use for lounging around. Maybe I'll remember to get a photo. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a fun and relaxing time!! The t-shirt braiding sounds nice. I'm not a crafter type person but I might could do that. On the other hand, I love to read so sitting outside reading is my favorite thing!

    Mike & Gerri (happytrails)
    http://freedom2roll.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alpena..really?? I'm pretty sure there used to be a goldmine there...and Den's family owned some gold stock...Worth checking into...How the Hell do you braid a T-shirt...and how do you put it on once it is braided??? Could I wear it as a bracelet????

    ReplyDelete