Sunday, July 13, 2008

BOOKCROSSING ON THE ENCHANTED HIGHWAY

In a comment on yesterday's post, Judy wondered which book I found in the Grasshopper leg... here it is, Blue Rabbit and Friends.

A quick read! In the end, Blue Rabbit hops on his bike and heads off "to see the world - with the open sky above and the wind in his face", looking for adventure - as were we (especially the wind part).

In its place, I left the Birth of Venus, sorta' figuring that would be the last I would hear about this book for awhile.




Imagine my surprise when I found this message from Bookcrossing in my email when we got home:

__________________________________

Book Title: The Birth of Venus
Author: Sarah Dunant
Saturday, July 12, 2008

I found this book on the Enchanted Highway. It was resting on one of the Grasshoppers legs.

CAUGHT IN ENCHANTED HIGHWAY NORTH DAKOTA USA

By AnonymousFinder
________________________________


That was followed very shortly by another message, sent to me (AreWeThereYet, my Bookcrossing name) as a personal message through Bookcrossing (a way that registered Bookcrossers can communicate with one another while keeping their identities private):

Hello AreWeThereYet,
i found this book.
and it will kill me to ask, were you the woman riding the motorcycle?

Signed, Tank123

_______________________

Oh, poor Tank! I am sure he registered on BookCrossing ONLY to be able to send off his message. No, I most definitely am not the woman riding the motorcycle, his vision of a lovely, leather-clad adventuring female... maybe they exchanged a wave along the road, or shared a few words at one of the scupltures, and what "could have been" looms in his imagination. I'm fairly certain that a past-middle-aged, mostly-gray-haired female who thinks motorcycles look too hot, too cold, too wet, too windy and/or too noisy is not the stuff of his dream.

Isn't Bookcrossing great?

3 comments:

  1. Wow! What a great story. Imagine finding your first book "in the wild", and then having the one you left picked up so fast! And all in the middle of nowhere......very beautiful nowhere, it looks like.

    Sydney

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a FUN adventure you just had!!!! I guess it IS a good thing we have windy and/or rainy days now and then. tee hee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Laurie, you crack me up. Loved your last line.

    Jo

    ReplyDelete